Monday, 29 October 2012

Swagatika(CVIT)


Details

Name: Swagatika Panda
Research Experience(years): 3yrs
Lab: CVIT
Occupation: student
Professor: Prof. C V Jawahar
Area of Interests: Computer vision, image processing, robotics
Email Id:swagatika.panda@research.iiit.ac.in

Motivation to pursue research

What was your intention or motivation to join a research program before you joined IIIT H? Interest,Aim and Purpose that made you pursue research program.
Well, I was not interested in an industrial job. It has its advantages, but I kind of wanted to get into research for it allows you to be creative, have your own space at work, and work life is not monotonous.

How did you feel in your first semester when you have to select a lab and decide under which Prof. you have to work?
I was sure about that I wanted to work in computer vision area, where I can play with images. I liked the subject in B.Tech and went for it. The motivation was as simple as that. Out of the 4 professors in CVIT, Prof Jawahar was the best choice for me although all are very good . I wanted to work in an area of natural images, with some application related to robotics. Prof Jayanthi worked on medical imaging which I tend to avoid. Prof PJ Narayanan was more into GPU, I being from ECE am not great in algorithms. Dr Anoop was into biometrics, not so much into natural images. This is how I narrowed down my search. Of course, I was not sure if Prof Jawahar would take me as a student, so I had to worry a bit.
   
What was your motivation behind staying in Academics rather than joining industry ?
In your opinion,what are the major differences between academics and industry?
They function in fundamentally different way. In industry, everything is systematic and well-organised which you sometimes wish were there in academics. You have to be efficient and the focus is to plan properly and try hard to execute it properly. You do not have the privilege to give ideas and be into technology at the same time. So, after few years of experience, you lose patience to look into a problem, ponder over it and try to find a solution. You always want quick solutions and close-ended questions. That's what happened to me.. Academics gives that freedom. I work according to my convenience, I know I am doing what I am interested in, I have the choice of coming up with ideas and experiment with it.

Thesis

How did you choose your thesis area?And why did you choose that particular area?
Had to search lot of papers and recent work. I chose the area because I liked it, found it interesting and went for it.

How did you narrow down to your search(for your thesis problem)to one particular problem?
    I try to find idea from real-world problems. If that is interesting, I create a vague idea of how can it be solved. Then I search for relevant papers to fine-tune the idea and check the feasibility of my problem...

How was your experience w.r.t paper (or thesis) writing and do have any tips that will make paper (or thesis) writing process an easy one?
I guess, keep updating your work somewhere, in a webpage or report. Do not wait for the end of your MS or phd to write it down...

Suggestions to existing research students at IIIT H

What do you suggest for newly joined research students with regard to choosing lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?
What should students consider while choosing a lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?
First, ask yourself what do you want after getting out of here. You want to do job/Phd? You want a research oriented job or any job with good payscale will make you happy? You have the patience/time/family support to afford delays in getting degree or you have a fixed timeline?

Second, find the area that interests you. There are many many options. Search and search and search if you are not sure...just don't jump into anything based on some vague ideology.

Third, notice your own functioning style. Do you want to work at random timings or you are more organized? Are you someone who becomes sleepless for work or want to carry forward your work slowly. Are you a team worker or individual performer? Do you need input or you are self-sufficient? You are dependent on funding or you are financially stable? Can you take negative criticism or you would prefer a polite person? Are you someone who gives his/her best to any work assigned or someone who would like to get a nice idea and work on it. Based on that, think of your compatibility with your professor...

Fourth, talk and interact with the professors before deciding. Dont close your options.

Does regular writing of your ideas and your understanding of a concept (or a research paper) in own words help? If yes how?
    Yes. Because, you dont have to remember them any more and you dont have the fear of forgetting them. Your thoughts are downloaded and kept safe.

What practices would you suggest for young research students at IIIT H?
Be consistent and regular at work. Keep your mind open for ideas.

How to resolve dilemma of either going for Ph.d or job? When a MS by research or dual degree is about finsih his programme?
That dilemma might be there at the beginning of MS. I think, as time passes, you would know it for youself. If not sure, talking to your professors and colleagues will give you lot of insight.

View about research at IIITH

What should be improved with regard to research culture at IIIT H ?Do suggest any change in structure of MS or Ph.d program?Why?
Anything which you felt lacking in research culture at IIITH while you were pursuing your research!
    Need more in-lab interaction about each others research work.
more group work.Need to move from application-oriented research to more fundamental research.

In your opinion, how does environment at IIIT H helps an individual in pursuing research? Anything like freedom do it your own way, weather, green campus, …

You get your own space. You live the way you want to, do not have to conform to any norm. Campus environment is peaceful. People at work (at least for me) are very open, helpful and supportive.

How does research program at IIIT H helped in your overall growth as a responsible person(or citizen) of society(or India)?

Many times I have to spend the day alone thinking of my problem and work, which I was not used to earlier. This process is helping me increase my mental stamina. When I see people coming out of their own way to help me, I get motivated to do that.

Your Centre

How was your overall experience w.r.t work culture of your centre?

People are honest, hard-working and professional, ready to help and discuss and motivate. In CVIT, the amount of experimentation and coding required is high. We target deadlines and work for it, which always keeps you on your toes. The professors have set a standard on the level of conferences and journals to submit your work, so you need to push yourself to reach there.

Does discussions with fellow researchers in same centre helps? How does it help?
Importance of discussions with fellow researchers !!

Yes, and that is very important. It allows me to see things from another perspective, get inputs, fine tune my method, find faults in my work, get new ideas and feel confident about my work.

Final Comments

Please quote us your favourite tagline which let you 'get going'?
Focus and don't give in. (since I dont think I am very focussed)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions !!!!