Details
Name:Ravi ShekharResearch Experience(years): 2
Lab: CVIT
Occupation:Student
Professor: Dr.Jawahar
Area of Interests: Computer Vision - Machine Learning - Document Image Retrieval
Email: ravi.shekhar@rsearch.iiit.ac.in
Link to your homepage or blog: http://researchweb.iiit.ac.in/~ravi.shekhar/
Motivation to pursue research
What was your intention or motivation to join a research program before you joined IIIT H? Interest,Aim and Purpose that made you pursue research program.
In
the long run I always wanted to come to academics. After working in
industry for 2yr. , I felt it is right time to move from industry to
research.
How did you feel in your first semester when you have to select a lab and decide under which Prof. you have to work?
Before coming to here, I wanted to work in the area related to OS. But later I found out that IIIT-H is not having any lab/faculty working in the same (not only IIIT-H, other Indian institutes are also not actively doing research in OS :( ). Also, I was sure that I will not like to work in areas like Databases, Data Mining, NLP, Speech. After doing method of elimination I had 2 options Machine Learning or Algorithm which suited my aptitude. Later I selected Machine Learning with application in Computer Vision.
What was your motivation behind staying in Academics rather than joining industry ?
In your opinion,what are the major differences between academics and industry?
Both
industry and academic world has its own advantages. The main advantage I
found is freedom to work what you want. Industry also gives you freedom
to select and do what you want, but before that you have to show your
worth/ capability to them. In industry point of view I love there
software engineering (SE). Hope we researchers also learn some of SE
from them and use it in our work.
Thesis
How did you choose your thesis area?And why did you choose that particular area?
The
day I selected Prof. Jawahar as my guide. He told me clearly what he
want me to do. So. for me problem was almost defined from the day one.
So, having problem at hand only thing I was suppose to do is read
related literature and try to find out how to solve problem in hand.
How was your experience w.r.t paper (or thesis) writing and do have any tips that will make paper (or thesis) writing process an easy one?
Writing
paper is an art. You have to become salesman and sell your work (I am
very bad in this). Try to write from early, write summary of all paper
you read etc in must thing all researcher do ( I never did any one of
them).
If you are submitting paper to some conference, you will have page limit (say 8 pages). I will follow following method :
1. First of all, make 8 blank pages in conf. structure.
2. Fill all relevant references.
3. Decide all section heading and space required, and put corresponding space in the sections. Also cite required references in the sections.
4. Decide all figures and tables and put space for the same.
5. Starting writing experimental and proposed algorithm, this you have done. So, it is comparative easy.
6. Write Introduction in 2nd last. After writing al other thing write Abstract and Conclusion part.
Suggestions to existing research students at IIIT H
What do you suggest for newly joined research students with regard to choosing lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?What should students consider while choosing a lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?
Every
student has its own some idea what s/he wants to work on. Give it first
preference but try to talk to as many as possible in different labs and
try to know what they are doing and most important why they are doing.
Talk to Profs., ask them what is their expectation from you as
M.S./Ph.D. student. Try to find out common ground between you. One
should find out things like Prof. will be available when you need him,
how is his working style, etc.
What practices would you suggest for young research students at IIIT H?
In
my view whatever area and Prof. you work with make a thumb rule that
meeting him weekly for at-least 30min. Keep Prof. inform about your
work, success or failure.Try to come lab daily and be there for 6-8 hour. It will make your life little bit more structured.
View about research at IIITH
What should be improved with regard to research culture at IIIT H ?Do suggest any change in structure of MS or Ph.d program?Why?Anything which you felt lacking in research culture at IIITH while you were pursuing your research !!!!
One
major change I would like to have in the direction of co-working with
different research lab. We have individually very good lab, but
collaboration between lab must increase.
Second,
IIIT-H should move from experimental research to tradition research
mean contributing theoretically in the research community.Also, we
should focus on Interdisciplinary research areas. Centre
How was your overall experience w.r.t work culture of your centre?
Working
in CVIT is fun but sometimes tiring. You will see that every 2-3 months
some or other deadline is there and people trying hard to meet it.Most
important thing about CVIT is lab-mates. One can always find some or
other person to talk not only about research but also movie, games, some
intellectual discussion etc. Some of discussion with them not only
clear you concepts also give new direction to your research. Everyone is
always ready to help in their own capabilities.
Final Comments
Please add anything like comments,suggestions or anything you like to share,which did not get included in the questionnaire !!!
Research
is bound to have some failure. Be mentally ready for that.In my view,
having a support system is very important in research.I would prefer
support should be at-least outside from research area, with whom one can
talk not only about your research but other things which is not related
to research.So, as soon as you find your research area find out support
system also.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comments and suggestions !!!!