Monday, 5 November 2012

Deepti(SIEL)


Details

Name: Deepti Aggarwal
Research Experience(years): 2 years
Lab: SERL|SIEL
Occupation: MS scholar
Professor: Prof. Venkatesh Choppella and Prof. Vasudeva Varma
Area of Interests: Information Retrieval(IR),Human computer interaction(HCI), web acessibility
Email Id: 
Link to your homepage or blog: http://pascal.iiit.ac.in/~deepti.aggarwal/


Motivation to pursue research

What was your intention or motivation to join a research program before you joined IIIT H? Interest,Aim and Purpose that made you pursue research program.
                 Its a hilarious story actually. When I was very young, I watched the movie Mr. India, which did strike some chords in my mind. I wanted to develop something similar to that "magic" goggles.

       Well, jokes apart. During my degree program, once I was in my library, I realized that library is full of so many books of my area and I had hardly covered one rack by that time. I realized that there is so much to explore and learn. I decided to do something great and to be recognized as a scientist. So I am here now.. :)

How did you feel in your first semester when you have to select a lab and decide under which Prof. you have to work?
             hmm.. yes it was really difficult to find out my area of interest and a suitable lab for me that suits my interests. Seriously I was ignorant about actual area of computer science. To me, there were only few areas like database, OS, networking. The actual research stuff were far away from my horizon.

Reading papers related to different labs, getting to know what was the hot topic of research in each lab and meeting to people and professors.. a lot of pressure and struggle!

What was your motivation behind staying in Academics rather than joining industry ?
In your opinion,what are the major differences between academics and industry?
   I did not want to do some labor job of copying and pasting some code snippets. I wanted to build something new on my own. I feel that industry envt. restricts your imagination and creativity.


Thesis

How did you choose your thesis area?And why did you choose that particular area?
             I feel that we can not decide our thesis area in first year or in first few semesters. In my case, my thesis area changed completely over the period of time. I joined under Prof. Venkatesh Choppella to explore Semantic Web. I found myself stuck and then my interests changed to human computation and web accessibility. So, I believe your interests changes gradually as your knowledge about several areas increase.

How did you narrow down to your search(for your thesis problem)to one particular problem?
                 In my case, I worked on two problems simultaneously. I think your courses help a lot to broaden your thinking and improve your imagination. During the classes, many ideas came into my mind, out of which maximum were really bogus. I discussed them with my lab mates and then zero-in to particular ones.

How was your experience w.r.t paper (or thesis) writing and do have any tips that will make paper (or thesis) writing process an easy one?
Most important is: Write, write and write.
Do not jump to implementation suddenly. Take baby steps. Writing improves your thinking and improvise your ideas a lot. That is the only thing that is required for your thesis and paper.


Suggestions to existing research students at IIIT H

What do you suggest for newly joined research students with regard to choosing lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?What should students consider while choosing a lab and enrolling under a Prof. ?
                         Do not follow blindly your BTech. interests. Explore new areas with new courses. Do not run after the name of professor. Because famous professors do not have much time for their students.
Give priority to your interests. Your passion towards your work is more than enough.
Yes I know your guide's name is important. What comes to rescue is the combination of two professors as your guide.

Does regular writing of your ideas and your understanding of a concept (or a research paper) in own words help? If yes how?
Yes. That is the only key. I have mentioned it before also. I know writing may seem to be boring. Use boards and pens to explain your ideas to others.

What practices would you suggest for young research students at IIIT H?
Read a lot. Do not fix your research area just meeting a few people. Your passion for your research area is the most essential element to proceed with your research. You will reach a time when your mind and your heart both wanna pick that area. Wait till that time.. :)
HAVE PATIENCE!

How to resolve dilemma of either going for Ph.d or job? When a MS by research or dual degree is about finish his programme?
That is what I am trying to solve now. :D Still not clear.. :O :(
But yes one thing, before going for PhD think different other aspects of your life: your family, your financial stability. My guide says, "PhD is a life time commitment. You should have someone with whom you can share even your bugs." Meaning you can not walk alone in that long journey.
If you even have a small doubt about your stability with PhD, hold on, think twice!
aahaaa.. I get to know what I wanna do now! :D


View about research at IIITH

What should be improved with regard to research culture at IIIT H ?Do suggest any change in structure of MS or Ph.d program?Why?
Anything which you felt lacking in research culture at IIITH while you were pursuing your research !!!!

In your opinion, how does environment at IIIT H helps an individual in pursuing research? Anything like freedom do it your own way, weather, green campus, …
Yes freedom, green campus, open environment are really helpful. You need open air to think, to talk to yourself, to write and to have good times with your friends.


How does research program at IIIT H helped in your overall growth as a responsible person(or citizen) of society(or India)?
I feel very lucky to come here. I learnt one main and essential lesson after coming here, i.e., Patience.


Centre

How was your overall experience w.r.t work culture of your centre?
                I found it somewhat depressing. There were sharp peaks in my mood: satisfied and depressed. In our college, people are not able to divide their time to research and personal life. We try to work 24*7, thinking that this will help in completing our work very soon.
We need regular breaks. Saturdays and Sundays are meant for taking breaks. Please rest yourself.
We do not have discussion groups in our labs where only students participate to help each other, may it be improvising your idea, or writing, or paper, or anything else. A good interaction with your fellow mates is MUST, even more than your guide.

Does discussions with fellow researchers in same centre helps? How does it help?
Importance of discussions with fellow researchers !!
                  Yes surely. Your ideas are restricted to your thinking. Sometimes you can not recognize even a small fault in your idea. Even to improvise your ideas, you need others minds to work on your problem.


Final Comments

Please quote us your favourite tagline which let you 'get going'?
-"There is still so much to know."
- "Yes I can do it."
- "You did a great job. Wonderful!"

Please add anything like comments,suggestions or anything you like to share,which did not get included in the questionnaire !!!
One funny thing I wanna quote. As you read more, you realize that you are ignorant and stupid. But that is a step towards wisdom. Your knowledge is increasing. By the time you write your thesis, you will feel you did NOTHING and your thesis is not worth of anything. Do not worry, that is normal.. :)

PS: Treat yourself for even small success, after all you did a great job.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and suggestions !!!!